The Gresham Historical Society is dedicated to providing a center for the collection, preservation, exhibition, and publication of material of historical and cultural character; to acquiring documents, manuscripts, publications, artifacts and images; and to promoting knowledge and appreciation of Gresham's history to the public through educational programs and exhibits.
The Gresham Historical Society was founded in 1976 by a group of volunteers dedicated to preserving the history of Gresham and the surrounding areas. We are a nonprofit organization, funded by donations and staffed primarily by volunteers. Currently, our membership is 300 strong, comprised of individuals and businesses.
In 1990, the Gresham Historical Society took over the old Carnegie Library on Main Avenue. Built in 1913 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie, our building served as Gresham's public library for over seventy years. Renovations in 2012 restored the old library to its original appearance, and it looks today much as it did a century ago.